fun with SD cards

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Wed Dec 6 12:48:08 EST 2006

The mount time for a 4G JFFS2 volume will be pretty long.  Another
problem is that you will use up a lot of kernel memory for JFFS2
internal data structures with a volume that size, assuming that you put
a lot of data on it.  We have pushed JFFS2 well past its design center
with the 512 MiB FLASH.  It was really designed for FLASH sizes in the
32-64 MiB range.

I will probably get piled-on for saying this, but in my experience,
plain FAT filesystems work well for removable media.  FAT was originally
designed for removable media (floppy disks), which is not the case for
ext2.  I routinely use a couple of USB keys to transfer stuff between my
host system and OLPC boards.  The ext2/3 has needed to be reformatted
several times, whereas the FAT one is still using the factory format.