"Strategic Shift"?

Kevin Purcell kevinpurcell at pobox.com
Tue Dec 5 13:11:54 EST 2006

The article speculates about XP on the XO hardware which is way off
base, IMHO. 128MB RAM and no paging file? I don't think XO has the
resources for XP (as most of us would know it -- not a just kernel
and not much else).

Windows CE would be a good fit. XO is rather like a very powerful
Handheld PC (HPC), if you remember that far back.

Mostly it would come down to writing a board support package for the
XO hardware. A lot of that is already done for Geode platforms so it
would come down to modifying an exisiting BSP to work with specific
details of XO (display drivers, mesh wireless, power management,
keyboard, extra controllers and so on).

I'd be particularly interested to see how good their power management
is compared to the Linux-based XO.