B-1 comments.

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Dec 3 14:35:22 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 19:37 -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> This is all in the first few hours of having the machine, and I know
> that some of this is known.
>
> Some of this is also partly my area, and some of this is of limited
> scope, however, that all said....
>

> The wireless:
>     We need an easy way to lock the wireless function of the laptop
>     _off_, this is largely due to FAA restrictions on operating wireless
>     devices in the air.  This means that just being able to turn it off
>     once the machine is booted is not really enough, and having to
>     remember to turn it off before you leave for the airport is, ah,
>     fairly sucky.
>
>     In the short term, a software fix is the best we can do.
>
>     In the long term, I think a physical switch would be a lot better.
>     How to work this into the ID of the laptop is an interesting
>     question, but not one that I'm qualified to make many suggestions
>     on.
>
> Power indicators:
>     We need a way, from ebook mode too, to very easily check to see not
>     only that we have some power left, but to get an idea of _how_ much
>     power beyond 'we must shut down now'.  Ideally, an extra button or
>     two on the unit that, in sugar, brings up a partial frame with a
>     power percentage, probably in a nice little bar, would be very nice.
>
> 'Game' buttons:
>     The current implementation sucks, we know it sucks, but after trying
>     to read an ebook in ebook mode, I can identify _how_ they suck a lot
>     better.

Trying to play Doom on the XO-1, we found another problem; both game
button modules emit the _same_ key codes.  That sucks.  We need to get
each of the 8 game buttons to emit _8_ different key codes somehow.
Apps can map them however they want (like make both sets of 4 the same)
but all 8 need to be different underneath.

Dan