[OLPC-devel] VSA + EC license?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Aug 31 17:29:29 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 19:54 +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while watching the GPL compliance effort put into buildrom, I asked
> myself whether we have any documentation about the licenses of the
> VSA code and the EC code. IIRC some of us have/had access to the
> VSA source but lack a working compiler for it.

Neither the EC nor VSA are linked into Linux or LinuxBIOS; I think we
are clear of the GPL in any case and that technically, no source has to
be provided for either.  All that we are doing is making a compilation
of different pieces (literally by concatenation). The GPL requires that
any GPL'ed code be made available.  So what we do have to do is make the
Linux/LinuxBIOS code available when we make the binaries available.

We intend to make source available to the EC and VSA in any case, when
we get all our ducks in a row (Jordan, what's the state of the VSA
code?).

Even if we did have to make the VSA available right now, the GPL turns
out not to require that you make the tools required to build the
binaries available.

> This mail is just to get some feedback. If appropriate, I'll create
> a trac ticket later.

Thanks.  We do need to keep track of this stuff.  I learned more about
the GPL than I cared to on the iPAQ project.
                          - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child