[OLPC-devel] Secure BIOS on the OLPC

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon Aug 28 23:58:14 EDT 2006

Ivan Krstić wrote:
> Ronald G Minnich wrote:
>
>>I am pretty uncomfortable with the idea of putting a magic file in place
>>and then having a flash occur on reboot automatically.
>

> Why, specifically?

Because, you are assuming that a reboot is always intended, and that is
not necessarily the case. Yes, on reboot you may find that file, but no,
you don't know that you have rebooted due to an intentional decision to
reboot, or an accident.

reflash is a drastic operation. Doing it on reboot is worrisome to me. I
have flashed 1024 machines at a time, machines with no keyboard or
display, and hence with substantial pain in store if anything went
wrong. I can tell you that, from my point of view the 'auto reflash on
reboot' scenario is one of the worst I can image, becuase there are many
circumstances in which a reboot is unplanned and involuntary.

ron