[OLPC-devel] Re: Problem after installing to NAND

Tom Sylla tsylla at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 23:21:44 EDT 2006

Jim Gettys wrote:
> If I knew what the PRS was, and had a copy of it, I might run it
> periodically ;-).

"Preferred Register Settings"

It is a mechanism the geode group has used for a very long time to make
sure registers get set properly, and stay that way. After tapeout,
before silicon, a system engineer gets all of the proper register
settings from the silicon team. They go into a text file with a defined
syntax. A parser runs in DOS that reads all those registers and compares
to the text file. Differences are reported as errors. As the silicon is
turned on, the PRS evolves, gets updated, etc. The PRS check is run at
every validated internal BIOS release. If the BIOS makes some change
that messes up a register, it is caught easily and quickly. The PRS
includes MSRs, I/O space, MMIO, and PCI config space. After the silicon
ships, BIOS partners make their BIOS ports. When they find that
something doesn't work, and ask AMD for help with it, one of the first
things done is to run the PRS check, to make sure they didn't screw
something up.

Early in the LB port, there were lots of registers misconfigured or not
set up. I made sure SteveG worked on getting them in a pretty good state
using the PRS mechanism. There is now even a PRS checker that runs
through FS2, so it makes it pretty easy, you could even run it on one of
those broken "jumping to..." machines. Ron should have the final OLPC
PRS, and the parser. You'd have to ask AMD if the parser is available to
anyone.

Tom