[OLPC-devel] Secure BIOS on the OLPC

Krishna Sankar (ksankar) ksankar at cisco.com
Sun Aug 27 21:42:55 EDT 2006

The scheme looks OK. The signed code paradigm is being used by Microsoft, Java et al. Unless I see the total picture, I cannot see if we are deviating from their sequences, in any serious way that matters. Most probably not. But we should check later, after the security spec is out and all sequences are fully developed.

We still need to figure out the size of the crypto code, but that is not a show-stopper, unless it consumes huge amount of resources.

Embedding an OLPC public key in the bios for bootstrapping is fine. We need to make sure, it is protected properly and all the associated sequences that touch it, are analyzed for security. (I assume the imminent security spec will be a starting point for this)

I also assume, each PC will have a unique serial number; anyway there is a unique MAC address as well. But, want to caution that either the key or the serial number or the MAC address can be spoofed (under proper conditions) and so we should make sure, we do not put *undue* trust in any of these artifacts. In fact, put the minimum trust required to do the processes we need, and document the sequences in the security spec/analysis document.

Cheers
<k/>