[OLPC-devel] Re: LinuxBIOS and integrated system debug status (Friday night).

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Sun Aug 27 03:12:03 EDT 2006

Ronald G Minnich wrote:

 > So, the question for me is, should an ext2 file system in a linux
embedded in a FLASH BIOS be as strict as a normal linux, or as free and
easy as grub?

I think that a bootloader should do its job of booting the kernel if
that is reasonably possible.  The fact that the bootloader happens to be
implemented with a Linux kernel doesn't change the nature of its job.

fsck'ing is the responsibility of the "real" kernel.

BTW, I copied this opinion, as well as the discussion that led to it, to
trac; http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/55