[OLPC-devel] Good engineering practice

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Aug 26 18:02:55 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 07:42 -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:
> Any issue or question that probably requires a change to the hardware or
> software should be moved to the bug tracker, and further discussion
> should be via that medium.

I'm not sure I agree with that unconditionally. If I encounter 'chatter'
in bug trackers, I find that just as hard to seek information in as the
mailing list. There's something to be said for having discussion in the
(archived) mailing list, and a _redux_ in the bug tracker.

For example, when I ask "does the GCC 3.4 compatibility toolchain work?"
that's _precisely_ the kind of thing I don't want to see in the bug
tracker -- I just want the _answer_ there.

But in general, I do agree that we should be keeping track of stuff
better -- I'm not arguing with that.

--
dwmw2