[OLPC-devel] Won't boot from unclean file system (trac 55)

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Sat Aug 26 08:58:32 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 07:56 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 23:25 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> >   2) If a flash key/disk running ext3 is not shutdown cleanly, LinuxBIOS
> > won't boot the file system.  This means you have to take the key or disk
> > and clean it on a different machine to reboot the machine. This is not a
> > blocker, but is sure irritating.
>
> I used ext2 for /boot to avoid this. And ext3 on a flash device isn't a
> hugely cunning plan anyway.

So you are suggesting we have a /boot partition with ext2 for the disk
image to solve the LinuxBIOS problem?  But why won't the payload Linux
image allow us to mount the file system in the first place, despite the
unclean dismount?  It is not as if the kernel image could possibly have
been written and be unclean itself, and the boot sequence itself will
run fsck and clean the root file system at boot time.

This seems like the wrong solution.

http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/55
                           - Jim

--