[OLPC-devel] Re: LinuxBIOS and integrated system debug status (Friday night).

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Sat Aug 26 03:08:41 EDT 2006

Jim Gettys wrote:
> OK, here's where we stand after today's intensive debugging (Build 79).
>   1) the Marvell wireless patch to LB does not appear to work, so the
> Marvell wireless won't run from LinuxBIOS: the existing patch was known
> to possibly be problematical.  This still would block many users from
> conversion.
>   2) If a flash key/disk running ext3 is not shutdown cleanly, LinuxBIOS
> won't boot the file system.  This means you have to take the key or disk
> and clean it on a different machine to reboot the machine. This is not a
> blocker, but is sure irritating.
>   3) after following the directions to install an image to flash
> (uneventfully), the board I used will no longer boot anything; Samat saw
> this problem a couple weeks ago and again tonight, but no one else had
> reproduced it until I did.
Actually, I had that problem last week, but I misinterpreted it as being
related to USB devices, because
last week's occurrence went away the next day after I fiddled with the
USB devices.  But it happened to me again
this Thursday night.  I turned off the board and switched to a different
board.  The next day, I tried the
"bad" board and it worked.
> The machine says "Jumping to LinuxBIOS" on
> the serial port and then does nothing.  Samat has seen this problem on a
> different board tonight as well; it started working again after being
> unplugged for a while (20 minutes). This smells like an uninitialized
> register in the NAND flash,
I have never knowingly used the NAND flash, so I question whether it's
related to that.

I have added a trac ticket describing my experiences with this problem.
When other people see it,
please update the ticket with detailed information concerning what you
were doing.  Perhaps enough
such reports will give us a clue where to look.
> or some such problem. Not a blocker to a
> release, as we can tell people not to install onto NAND until we find
> and fix it.
>   4) the current sugar in build 79 looks to not scale itself properly to
> the 1024x768 resolution screen I chose for the default since that is the
> most likely to "just work on everyone's screen" size.
>
> On the good side:
>   o We have installation directions, that are now pretty good.  Whether
> they are good enough for non-native speakers of English to follow is not
> yet known.

Now that the USB key image is hundreds of megabytes instead of 5, the
save/overwrite/restore aspect
of the installation procedure is no longer a good idea.