[OLPC-devel] USB device support

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Aug 24 18:36:05 EDT 2006

These days, most USB devices have Linux drivers, and they are
dynamically loaded at hotplug time.

In fact, Dave Zeuthen built some of the infrastructure Linux uses to
figure out what driver should get loaded for which piece of hardware
(Hal).  We aren't yet using it on OLPC, but probably will at some point.
Dave has some work to do on it before we likely do.

That's probably not quite what you were asking, though.  I dunno if
there is some raw driver facility for USB.
                              - Jim

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 12:52 -0700, Mitch Bradley wrote:
> Does anybody know of any efforts to support USB devices from userland?
>
> Having to upgrade kernels just to support a random device seems like the
> wrong
> answer for an easy-to-use machine.

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child