[OLPC-devel] Build image 76.

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Thu Aug 24 14:47:59 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 14:48 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 14:31 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> > Interesting.  I'm glad we now know what was going on.
> >
> > In theory, I would think the device driver should have responsibility
> > for enabling the power on devices; in Linux has knowledge of the bus
> > topology.
> >
> > But I'll defer to Marcelo on what he thinks the right fix is.
>
> Wouldn't we have to special-case this for OLPC?  It doesn't seem quite
> right to have the 'enable' magic in the libertas driver, since that
> driver works just fine for the USB dongles that we can plug into our
> laptops, and is pretty clear trying to enable some random pin on an EC
> my laptop doesn't have would fail :)
>
> Is there a generic "OLPC" device driver that this sort of thing can live
> in?  I just don't think we should be doing this in the libertas driver
> because it's not actually anything to do with the 8388.  It's the EC
> that needs driving here.

Yup; but there has to be some way to call out to a routine provided by
such a driver for libertas to use, and some way to set up that call on
our hardware.  I've not ever dabbled in Linux drivers (my last driver
hacking was on Tru64 Linux on Alpha).

Remember, if we want to travel with these things, in theory we should
have *some* way to turn off the wireless....
                                 - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child