[OLPC-devel] Teleconference information for software status meeting tonight. (note change in time).

Marcelo Tosatti mtosatti at redhat.com
Thu Aug 24 14:40:45 EDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 09:32:45PM -1000, Mitch Bradley wrote:

> >>I thought it could ...
> >>

> >kexec maybe but kbl-kexec dosen't like it. I just tried and got 'not a
> >bzImage'.
> >
> In the source code for kbl-exec, the source code that purports to
> support ordinary ELF
> images is commented out with "#if 0".
>
> See work/kexec-boot-loader/kexec-boot-loader/kexec/kexec.c line 191 and
> kexec-x86.c line 93.
>
> Personally, I think this is a Bad Thing.  Why should it only be possible
> to boot something
> that is in a complicated format that is only used by the Linux kernel?

The reason for commenting out the code is the 1MiB size constraint. The
assumption was that the OLPC BIOS would only boot Linux kernel's.

You're free using the original kexec-tools from buildrom/packages/ which
supports static ELF binaries (memtest86 is supposed to boot via kexec,
though I haven't tried it myself).