[OLPC-devel] where we stand as of the end of aug 23 re: LinuxBIOS

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Aug 23 22:06:21 EDT 2006

It sounds like we've made a good amount of progress.  On the image side
we have an image that appears to work well under the following
circumstances:

o Insyde BIOS with USB HDD
o Insyde BIOS with USB Flash Drive
o LinuxBIOS to internal NAND flash

Things I'm not sure about about but I think work, based on conversations
on IRC:

o LinuxBIOS with USB HDD or USB Flash Drive

Things I know don't work:

o Booting with QEMU

Stuff that we still need to fix:

o X config with the amd driver.  Jim posted a config file and Jordan
followed up with a note on how to turn off the VGA Probing with
LinuxBIOS.  As of right now the amd driver fails if you're using
LinuxBIOS because it doesn't support VESA.

o Switch between X configs based on whether or not we're using QEMU or
LinuxBIOS or Insyde.  This isn't hard (just look at the CPU) but it just
needs to get done tomorrow.

o Marcelo was packaging up the buildrom stuff this afternoon and should
have it done tonight or tomorrow.  Once that's done we'll have to run
through a bunch of tests and make sure that we have a final working image.

o This is the first build with the libertas driver included in the
kernel.  The USB ID shows up with insyde but does _not_ show up when
booting with LinuxBIOS.  Don't know what's going on with that and should
track it down, but probably not required for getting people up to date
with LinuxBIOS.

--Chris