[OLPC-devel] Testing LinuxBIOS installation release

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Wed Aug 23 17:46:01 EDT 2006

Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> Mitch Bradley wrote:
>> It booted, but the startup took a Lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time.  There are
>> scores of
>> messages like:
>>
>> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 383248
>> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 382816
>> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 107510
>> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 105236
>> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 107036
>
> That's usually the kind of error you get when you have a bad hard
> drive/flash drive, or there's not enough power.
The USB key works fine on an EPIA system running DSL Linux, and also
under Windows with the freeware ext2 fs driver.  So I think the drive
hardware is probably okay.

You would think that the powered hub would take care of the power issue.

Also, LinuxBIOS+payload doesn't seem to have any problems while loading
the kernel + initrd from the device.