[OLPC-devel] Minutes from System Software telecon, 2006-08-22

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 10:58:47 EDT 2006

> Are you using sumtool to convert the image to a JFFS2+summary image?
> (which mounts in 1/10th the time that a normal JFFS2 image does).  If
> not, you should be.
>
> http://mailman.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2006-August/001346.html
> http://mailman.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2006-August/001349.html

Yes.  I was following Marcelo's instructions he sent me.  I didn't
however actually run makesum on the OLPC as the instructions said.
The filesystem image is only 512MiB and there isn't enough space on it
to copy over the jffs2 image and then run sumtool and store the
output.  parted told me that the filesystem was using an "incompatible
option" and would not resize it.

So I ran sumtool on my debian box before that and only copied in the
final output.  Perhaps the version of sumtool in debian testing is not
recient enough?

I also tried not using sumtool and just used the unsummed image just
to see what that didn (knowing it would take much longer) but I got a
different set of errors.  Something seems borked with my image.

--
Richard A. Smith