[OLPC-devel] Re: Minutes from System Software telecon, 2006-08-22

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Wed Aug 23 09:34:02 EDT 2006

On 23/08/06 04:16 -0500, Richard Smith wrote:
> On 8/22/06, Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >By default the progress bar moves until its end, when a blank screen
> >welcomes the user for undetermined amount of time (being picky,
> >nevermind :)). Is that supposed to happen?
>
> Doesn't happen for me.

It should - if it doesn't, then you did something wrong.

> - Buildrom dependency info for olpcflash.c doesn't work right.

By design - buildrom works on a macro level, not a individual file level.
It uses the existance of the final binary to determine if it needs to rebuild
or not, not the individual .c files.  Thats why the olpcflash-clean target
exists.

> - bootmenu needs the _keypad_ numbers pressed to pop up the boot screen.
>
> If you muck up your nand flash enough where the system will mount it
> but not boot all the way then your only option (other than hacking
> linuxrc and reflashing) is to use bootmenu to boot USB first.  Thats
> when its really handy to know to use the _keypad_ keys rather than the
> '1234' keys above 'qwerty'.  As simple as that seems this was very
> non-obvious to me until I started looking at the source.

No - bootmenu needs 'ESC' to pop up the boot screen.  The keypad worked by
luck because if numlock is off, they issue ESC commands which are enough
to bring up the menu.  I'm not sure where you got the numbers thing.

You press ESC to get the menu, and arrow keys to highlight the entry, and
enter to select it.  Anything else that works is just plain luck.  The source
code is quite clear on this.

--
Jordan Crouse
Senior Linux Engineer