[OLPC-devel] Re: OLPC buildsystem cleanups

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Mon Aug 21 15:55:32 EDT 2006

On 21/08/06 14:41 -0500, Richard Smith wrote:
> >I agree that using /tmp is a problem, but this is definitely not the way to
> >fix it.  First of all, it breaks LinuxBIOS only builds, and secondly, it
> >is dependent on how buildrom works, which may or may not change on a
> >moment's notice.  it would be smarter to use sed to modify the
> >configuration
> >on the fly, as the attached patch indicates.
>
> While very elegant, I think changing the config file on the fly makes
> it harder to see whats going on.  Rather than copy the payload into
> temp can we not just copy the payload into $(LINUXBIOS_TARGET_NAME)
>
> Then the config file just has PAYLOAD ../olpcpayload.elf which should
> work for both buildrom and non-buildrom builds.
>
> Perhaps we can build and export a $(LINUXBIOS_PAYLOAD_PATH)? So the
> higher level make code knows where to stick it.
>
> That to me would seem to be a much more discoverable behavior than
> changing the config file automagically.

True - I have less of a problem with this since I percieve payload to be
an variable that the LinuxBIOS build system expects the user to set.
Regardless, changing the config file on the fly is very much a Bad Thing.
I wouldn't have any problem redirecting the payload somewhere within the
LinuxBIOS build, assuming the LinuxBIOS owners are cool with that paradigm.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse
Senior Linux Engineer