[OLPC-devel] how to update bios to linuxbios

Chris Ball cjb at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 16 00:47:32 EDT 2006

>> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:02:00, Mitch Bradley <wmb at firmworks.com> said:

   > The Fedora installation procedure described above wants to install
   > to a USB hard disk.  I don't know if a USB flash device would be
   > big enough.

I'd expect a 2G flash drive to be sufficient, providing you do an expert
install and deselect openoffice/development tools/etc.

   > I was unable to use PuppyLinux to reflash the SST FLASH part,
   > because the procedure requires you to set the MSR register to a
   > specific value.  PuppyLinux lacks the special file
   > "/dev/cpu/0/msr", so the "wrmsr" program won't work.

The msr module is responsible for providing that file; `modprobe msr`
should bring it up if you have the module available.

While I'm here, I'll recommend the D-Link DSB-H3ETX combo powered USB
hub/USB ethernet, which was available for $23 from my local MicroCenter.
It uses the pegasus kernel module, included on the Rawhide/OLPC images.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at mrao.cam.ac.uk>    <http://blog.printf.net/>