[OLPC-devel] Re: AMD Geode GX framebuffer: support OLPC

ollie ollie at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 15 17:05:47 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 16:50 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 14:20 -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> > In the limit, that won't really work. qemu is a 440bx chipset. There
> > will be differences, that may impact the kernel, that are reflected from
> > that fact.
>
> So how much bigger is the kernel going to be? I bet we're willing to pay
> that price to avoid maintaining two kernel rpm packages.

I guess that's what you have to do eventually unless you got a full
system emulator for the OLPC. The boot sequence is going to be totally
different for OLPC from the normal PC emulated by QEMU. The bootloader
(FILO?) has certain capability that is not available from GRUB (run in
32 bit mode, load an ELF kernel image and jump right into the kernel
_start).

Ollie