[OLPC-devel] Re: just tested new buildrom with linuxbios version 2376

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 15:49:50 EDT 2006

> The graphical boot isn't persistant.  It goes away when the timeout
> expires or when a menu option is selected.  Do we seriously want a shell
> always available on the production ROM?  I say no.

I say yes.

You are going to blow the whole thing away when you kexec into the new
kernel so this would only be active if the boot failed.  Exactly when
you need a shell.

Consider on the production line when units fail to boot due to mfg
deficts on the NAND part they will need to go somewhere for a quick
diagnostic.  Re-flashing in a new SPI image with a version that has a
shell available will cost you a lot of time.  The techs need to be
able to _quickly_ diagnose issues or your re-work will cost more than
the product.

With a shell available they pop in a USB key with thier diagnosic
stuff on it mount it and go.   If we have enough room we even
discussed putting as many diagnosic apps as we can into the boot
flash.

--
Richard A. Smith