[OLPC-devel] Re: AMD Geode GX framebuffer: support OLPC

ollie ollie at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 15 13:46:12 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 13:33 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 10:10 -0600, ollie wrote:
> > The ELF image does not contain the arch/i386/boot stuff at all. Is
> > there any reason we have to load something like bzImage?
>
> Yes, we want the OLPC distro to be able to boot on non-OLPC machines.
> Like e.g. qemu.

How closely and low level do you want to emulate OLPC on non OLPC
machines? Do you want to emulate the Flash ROM thing as well?

I don't think is necessary to emulate the LinuxBIOS boot process
on non OLPC machines. You simply have to provide two versions of
kernel, one for emulator and high level software development and
the other for embedding in the real hardware.

Ollie