[OLPC-devel] Re: AMD Geode GX framebuffer: support OLPC

ollie ollie at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 15 12:29:10 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 10:15 -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> ollie wrote:
>
> > I haven't looked at the very early init of Linux kernel for a long
> > time. IIRC, we can just boot the vmlinux ELF image with LinuxBIOS/FILO
> > The ELF image does not contain the arch/i386/boot stuff at all. Is
> > there any reason we have to load something like bzImage?
> >

> I think the issue is that VGA parameters have to be set. See below. How
> do we want to do this?

Why do we have to do that? These parameters were never set for any of
the previous LinuxBIOS platforms with VGA support. Does the GX2
framebuffer driver require it?

The code in arch/i386/boot is for old fashion bootloaders like LILO/GRUB
and to make Linux kernel a boot floppy disk. On LinuxBIOS platforms
with Etherboot or FILO, they are not even in the image.

Ollie