[OLPC-devel] Device tree

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Mon Aug 14 13:40:45 EDT 2006

[Changing name of thread...]

a) I think we need our own sub-architecture, sooner rather than later.
I could give a bunch of reasons, but I suspect that they are obvious to
everyone here, considering how little our hardware resembles a legacy PC.

b) Do we really need PCI autoconfiguration at this point?  The wiki
hardware spec doesn't mention the mini-PCI connector.  Can we just
pretend that it doesn't exist?  That would remove a lot of variables
from the startup and suspend/resume sequence.  Removing unnecessary
variables is a Very Good Thing.

c) I will go out on a limb and say that I could add rudimentary OF
device tree support to either or both of LinuxBIOS and a custom kernel
in a very short time.  Especially if the actual configuration is mostly
known.  No methods, just properties.  You may well ask: Why bother with
a device tree if the configuration is known?  The answer: Because when
we do the 2nd generation hardware and kernel, we will wish that we had.