[OLPC-devel] New buildrom is ready

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Sun Aug 13 21:32:21 EDT 2006

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 17:31 -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
>
>>hang on  ... i2c stuff could be done by the kernel we kexec, right? We
>>need to be careful about what we put in the buildrom kernel ("boot
>>kernel") vs. the "operational kernel" we boot off of disk.
>>
>>I think .. am I missing something?
>

> We need i2c to get any kind of video output. If you're going to omit
> that, you might as well omit the framebuffer too.

ah, did not realize this, I have yet to use the DCON stuff.

> You only need a very simple hack though -- one transaction. You don't
> necessarily need the whole I2C core and infrastructure.

I think we might want a simple bit-banger dedicated to driving the chip
directly. We do lots of I2C stuff on our cluster nodes and we have never
used the i2c stack. We just drive the chips directly.

I wonder if we should have a /dev/olpc?

Or if we should just do this in linuxbios, and use the linuxbios i2c code?

ron