[OLPC-devel] A little confused on using the Qemu Images ...

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Tue Aug 8 23:33:42 EDT 2006

Michael Reith wrote:
> With the Developer image, it boots and I select the "OLPC Simulator" and
> it loads into the X environment however all it shows is a green web
> browser that I can surf the net with.  Nothing else is shown and I can't
> even close the web browser down.

If you got that far you're in pretty good shape.  That means the kernel
is working, the networks are working and you're seeing the interface
you're supposed to see.  The problem is that the interface in question
doesn't do that much yet. :)

The main tree of that code has changed a lot since the last time we
updated the sugar packages (the UI code) in the simulator image.  For
the most part we've been updating the development images in order to
test kernel and OS issues, and not so much the UI which can be done out
of band on an FC5 or Rawhide box.  There's also instructions on the wiki
on how to test that code on other Linux distros as well.  There's a guy
in the office who uses suse and he's gotten it to work on his machine,
so there's hope for you yet!

> To use the Qemu images supplied on the Wiki, does one require the actual
> hardware? Or is it my setup in some way?  Should I be using Fedora Core
> 5 instead of Suse for my desktop?
>
> The version of Qemu included in Suse 10.1 is 0.8.0, but I have tried
> downloading the latest version (0.8.2) and the result is the same :(
>
> Am I doing something stupidly obvious?

No, it sounds like you're doing pretty well.  Maybe you just have
overblown expectations. :)

--Chris