[OLPC-devel] Re: Not so good news (Was: good news)

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Mon Aug 7 12:50:59 EDT 2006

Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> writes:

> * Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm at xmission.com> [060807 17:52]:
>> As long as it is buildrom or some LinuxBIOS that is doing both
>> the compression and the decompression I guess I don't have a problem.
>> The only downside is that it means in general you have to flash all of
>> LinuxBIOS together and can't flash the payload independently.  Which
>> isn't a huge loss.
>
> You can flash the payload independently as before. You just have to make
> sure its either compressed or not so.

With which algorithm?

There is a coupling here.  As long as the LinuxBIOS tooks take care and handle
everything we are fine.

My concern is simply with the compression option we have the potential to make
things more complicated for users of LinuxBIOS.  I don't want to do that.
Saying don't flash the payload separately is an easy way to ensure we don't get
that extra complexity.

Eric