[OLPC-devel] Re: Not so good news (Was: good news)

Carl-Daniel U. Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Aug 3 19:12:25 EDT 2006

Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> Jordan Crouse wrote:
>
> > NAK - Unless we all agree to go down this path and never look back,
> > this patch is trouble waiting to happen.
>
> I think we take this in two stages.
>
> stage 1 -- we go with nrv assuming it works ok in my tests. I'm in no
> rush to do this, however, because i want to get olpcflash done first.

Simply use the patch I sent earlier and modify the svn revision number used for checkout. if it is done soon, the change will get enough testers.

> stage 2 -- lzma. linuxbios gets really cleaned up for lzma.
>
> And, stage 2 happens before stage 1 is needed.

I'm not sure I understand. Stage 1 is essential for stage 2 unless you want to switch compression infrastructure at the same time as compression algorithms (which would be horrible form a debug point of view).

Also, I'm going to be without any net access for 2 weeks starting in 24 hours, so waiting for stage 2 (lzma support in LinuxBIOS) will hold back current development. I'm not complaining if you clean up LinuxBIOS to make lzma support easier, but my current ETA for working lzma is 3 weeks from now.

> > The better thing to do is to set up LB to default to its previous
> > behavior,
> > and we'll patch the Config.lb in buildrom to set the appropriate flags
> > based on a variable from Config.mk, which will also turn on the right
> > compression targets.
>
> sure, if you wish to do this, I can't complain.

Maybe, but since current LinuxBIOS svn already has switched to the new infrastructure, I think patching Config.lb is overkill right now.

Ron/Jordan, could you please test whether buildrom builds functional images with the attached patch? No changes in LinuxBIOS necessary as those are already upstream in the checked out version.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel