[OLPC-devel] Re: OLPC need to do something on VGA speed :(

supat at supat.eu.org supat at supat.eu.org
Wed Aug 2 17:33:11 EDT 2006

Hi Jordan Crouse,

Thank you much on your kind sugession.

I put below in .config :

   [*]   AMD Geode family framebuffer support (EXPERIMENTAL)
? ?
   ? ?                                <M>     AMD Geode GX framebuffer
support (EXPERIMENTAL)                                                ? ?
   ? ?                                [*]       Manually specify the Geode
GX framebuffer size                                               ? ?
   ? ?                                (0x800000)  Size of the GX
framebuffer, in bytes
? ?
   ? ?                                <M>     AMD Geode GX1 framebuffer
support (EXPERIMENTAL)                                               ? ?
   ? ?                                <M> Virtual Frame Buffer support
(ONLY FOR TESTING!)                                                   ? ?
   ? ?                                    Console display driver support
--->
========================

I don't know what is 0x800000 means?

I think I want less info to VGA so that it can run faster.
So, what number should I put in.

Belong to above config, I plug-in gx1fb and gxfb as below:

zxc at zxc555:~$ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
usb8xxx                83356  1
gx1fb                   9088  0
snd_mixer_oss          15872  0
ipv6                  224224  24
gxfb                    8836  1
snd_cs5535audio        14888  1
snd_ac97_codec         84000  1 snd_cs5535audio
snd_ac97_bus            2560  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                68872  3 snd_cs5535audio,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              21636  1 snd_pcm
snd                    48260  6
snd_mixer_oss,snd_cs5535audio,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               9440  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         10120  2 snd_cs5535audio,snd_pcm
ide_scsi               16388  0

================================

I fell the machine run better but no scientific measurement was done.

I change driver in X11 conf.org from vesa to nsc.
I am not sure it is correct place or not BUT network crash still happen if
I play huge .mpg movies from browser say 448 MB in 5 minutes.
Also huge .swf say 338 MB in 5 ninutes will cause network crash.

Options on mplayer help in reducing size of frame but did not solve the
problem.

Where should I do more?

Can it help if I put all modules in kernel instead off using modules
plug-in ?

Regards,
supat