[OLPC-devel] Teleconference information for OLPC software status meeting.

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Tue Aug 1 11:13:54 EDT 2006

Notes from this meeting:

OLPC Software Call 08/01/2006

FBDev Driver Working
   - added command line option to set resolution
   - andrew morton pulled in patch from jordan's tree
   - item: make sure it gets pulled into Linus' tree

EXA Driver
   - hole using linuxbios
   - need to test it!
   - can run on linuxbios or the insyde bios
   - requires changes to the config files? - in the wiki
     - documented on the Hardware_Drivers page

OLPC Image Build page
   - it's done, needs to be linked from other pages

LinuxBIOS issues - kexec of fedora kernels?
   - ron swears that we don't need a mem= line?
   - problems go away if you just use the mem= line
   - need a tarball for the main kernel and the linuxbios kernel
   - same kernel source in the rom as in the main image
   - bliz believes that linuxbios and main kernel image need to be the same
     - different goals
   - jordan is going to mail ivan about getting tarballs in an
"official" place

Audio Driver
   - alsa ctl for sensor selection has been added to the main tree and
pushed upstream
     - jg doesn't know if it's made it into a linus tree or not
     - jg will mail jaya and see if it's in a linus tree or not
   - if not, we can pull alsa into the olpc-2.6 git tree

Display
   - working version now
   - working to improve the display now (could be twice as bright, mlj
is driving)
   - haven't found out if they have hooked it up and tried the swizzling

CAFE
   - we have a hardware spec for this now
   - 136 pages now
   - mark is doing a review, marvell will probably have a cycle to
update docs and hardware
   - discussion of distributions, kernel development and compilers
(rawhide uses gcc 4.1.x)

Library and App footprint looks like
   - memory footprint
   - on-disk footprint
   - failure is running out of data pages to make the device useful
   - some work at Nokia on OOM issues
   - simply put: we don't know about Nokia

Tools
   - Size footprint?
   - tools already exist to check jffs2 file compression ratios
   - bliz will post the url to the tool
   - memphis? - SoC project to get good stats
     - jg will talk to ivan about memphis

Power Management
   - jg hopes mitch will own the issue
   - systemtap is your friend
   - video latency in the Geode at the hardware level?
     - jordan will follow up - most info came from CRTs.
     - AMD pain day is tomorrow
   - mark still needs to know the exact video timings
     - fb timings aren't enough? don't know what it is exactly.
     - correlation between dot clock and data available? jg doesn't
know.  ask david woodhouse?
     - found a diagram in the data sheet, don't know if it was enough
     - jg will follow up