[Devel-announce] [Testing] Some testing notes for OS10 for the XO-1

Bill Coderre bcbc at me.com
Sun Dec 27 02:33:08 EST 2009

On Dec 11, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Steven M. Parrish wrote:
> If you are going to try out OS10 for the XO-1 here are a few things that need
> testing.

I have a G1G1 XO-1. I upgraded my firmware to q2e41, then used the nand-flash method to install OS10. (Earlier attempts were not so fruitful, but I eventually figured out how to format the usb thumbdrive as FAT16 in Mac OS X "Snow Leopard," and that made things much better.)

Then I did "yum update" and let it update whatever it wanted. Then I did the Software Update control panel. Then I did the testing below.

Here's the "about" after all of this update fever:
> Serial CSN74903BFC
> Build: OLPC release 11 (Leonidas)
> Sugar: 0.84.2
> Firmware Q2E41
> Wireless Firmware: 5.110.22.p23

> Does it boot consistently into Sugar?  Gnome?
I haven't used Gnome. It seems to boot reliably into Sugar.

> Any strange lockups?  If so what were you doing?
"Record" crashes on launch.

I think I tried all the activities that came with, and they all work pretty well except for Record. Some have visual aberrations in the "Activity"/"Edit" etc tabs. Also, many do not show the "Stop Sign" icon, but show a weensy menu instead.

> Can you upgrade packages using "yum update" from the command line?
sudo, then yum update succeeded well.

> Does sound work?
Yes, quite well.

> Can you suspend?  Does it wake up?
Closing lid to sleep, opening lid to wake seems to work fine, with the exception of the trackpad. Once any sleep activity happens, the trackpad no longer causes the pointer to move. I am not sure if trackpad activity can wake the computer, but it certainly cannot move the pointer.

I did see some odd behavior when I just left it sitting there -- The screen would dim after a while, and then the screen would brighten back up, as if it were trying to go to sleep but something was waking it up.

Let me know what else I can do to help.
bc