[olpc-help] additional modification of vnclauncher.py

Andrew andrew2006 at flight.us
Fri Jan 30 16:25:13 EST 2009

I needed a VNC remote display from my (8.2.0) XO via a (wired) ethernet cable (connected via an ethernet-to-usb adapter).

The device "eth1" is automatically created when the adapter hardware is hotplugged (very nice); however, the original vnclauncher.py script listed and cycled through only two network interfaces -- eth0 and msh0 -- and, thus, ignored the newly-created "eth1"

I was delighted to get away with an easy hack involving changing the vnclauncher.py code

['eth0','msh0']

['eth0','eth1','msh0']

The order of the devices is important, since the loop apparently stops after the first "successful" find of a configured interface, including "msh0" which often has a generic IP.

The code also continued to work with eth0 after I removed the adapter (which made eth1 non-existant)

Such a modification, however, may have made it vulnerable to breakage in some other circumstance.

By the way, VNC remote display rocks on the new 8.2.0 system, as all the previous glitches seem to have been fixed.

Thanks to the developers!

Andrew