[olpc-help] Updating activities

Laurie DeMott demotlj at alfred.edu
Tue Jan 13 09:53:19 EST 2009

I finally bought a replacement keyboard and installed it last night so I
now have my control key working again.  I decided that I would then update
to the lastest new build.  (I am currently running 656.)  The update went
really well except that I have no activities showing and nothing will run
 from the Journal.  When I tried using the automatic software update in the
Control Panel, it would say "Starting update" but do nothing more, even if
I told it only to download the smallest update of less than 50kb.

I then tried downloading the activities bundle to my usb drive and
inserting that as it booted, as described in the wiki at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bert's_script.  It claimed it was installing
everything but when it returned to Sugar, still nothing.

I then tried "Bert's script" as described in the wiki.  As the script ran,
every activity returned the message "error, permission denied" or
something like that.

At the moment, I have gone back to using the old build but really liked
what I could see of the new one and would love to get it working.
Suggestions?

Laurie DeMott