[olpc-help] Diagnostic hangs or shuts down after touchpad test

tchomby tchomby at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 7 20:33:58 EST 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 01:32:15PM -0700, rihoward1 at gmail.com wrote:
> That is a known bug in Q2E18 and the ALPs touchpad.
>
> see  http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8451

Okay, then it looks like I need to change my firmware version, but there I'm
stuck. I went to this page:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_firmware

which points me to this page to download the firmware:

http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/

The latest firmware on that page seems to be q2e22, but there's no bootfw.zip
file, the file it tells you to download, for that version, or for any version
after q2d14. So should I downgrade the firmware to q2d14? I tried doing this,
following the instructions, the the xo seems to ignore the firmware image.
Looking at the boot information it says "firmware up to date", apparently the
updgrade instructions don't work for downgrading firmware.

So I need to either downgrade the firmware, which I can't find instructions
for, or install one of the versions newer than q2e18 which don't have
bootfw.zip files, to do that I think I need to get a developer key and follow
the manual firmware install instructions, so I've sent a request for a
developer key and await the result.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Manual_Firmware_Install

Currently those instructions don't work for me, I hold down the escape key
during boot but nothing happens, it just boots as normal, I guess that's
because my xo is still secured, so I need to get a developer key and unsecure
it.