[olpc-help] XO Laptop Inquiry

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Fri May 23 12:41:58 EDT 2008

Hi Stacey

The XO you received was designed to be used as part of an educational
cirriculum and is meant for teaching students a veriety of things. It
could well be a good match for what you're trying to do.

To become root:
Use the Terminal activity. After it starts, click once in the middle
of the screen to get focus and type 'su'.
There is no password for root (just hit return) as default.

To set the time zone:
Use the Sugar Control Panel. The command will be:
 sugar-control-panel -s timezone [timezone]

More info available from here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Control_Panel#Time

Setting a password:
The XO was designed to not need passwords.  The security model is not
designed around passwords.

The 'Register' function is designed to allow school children to
register their laptop with a School Server. You can safely ignore that
function.

I hope you find these answers useful.