[olpc-help] external CD/DVD drive ?

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Wed Mar 26 06:16:33 EDT 2008

Andrew wrote:

> I meant to write "On the XO end, we can rule OUT hardware..."
>
> (also, below, "connectS and works.")

dmesg should tell you whats going on.  Open up the terminal app then
plug up your drive. Let it settle (USB devices have 5 second delay to
let them boot up)  then type 'dmesg' .  You should see info on what the
kernel thinks about the device.

Since the primary target areas for OLPC are very unlikely to have a lot
of peripherals available the kernel driver inclusion policy has been to
include only the necessary drivers rather than the include "everything"
in most distro kernels.  It may be just the lack of a driver.

That said I just looked at our kernel config both sr and the necessary
filesystems are enabled so your cdrom should work.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child