[olpc-help] connecting to the web via WEP

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 14:31:50 EDT 2008

Hey Todd-

> Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong.  I can't seem to connect to the
> web using my XO.  I have followed the simple directions, and still have not
> been able to connect to my password protected server.  I even converted the
> password and that didn't work.  Asked my neighbor for his password and that
> too didn't work.

It's not clear if your having problems connecting to a wireless access
point, or to an Internet web site once you are connected, or to a secured
(password protected) web server. I can probably help you with each of these,
but I'd need to know where to start.

Read through this page:
- http://laptop.org/en/laptop/start/connecting.shtml

That way we can agree on terminology.

Let's start with two questions:

Can you see your access point on the Neighborhood screen?
Does it ever get a white circle?

If not, you are likely seeing connectivity problems in the 650 (default)
software release and need to upgrade.
There are major improvements in wireless connectivity included in the 656
update, which you can install manually. Details are on this page;
-  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Update_paths

In a nutshell:
1. get connected any way you can (by turning off security temporarily, or
connecting through T-Mobile, or at a public library)
2. Make sure your XO is plugged-in and your battery charged.
3. Use the Terminal Activity to run the "olpc-update  656" command.

There's also a way to do this by downloading the update on another computer
and using an SD card or USB key to transfer the files.

If you are getting a white circle on your access point, then we'll start
looking at DNS problems.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 1:58 PM, ToddE <ToddE at tvlcoll.com> wrote:

>  Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong.  I can't seem to connect to
> the web using my XO.  I have followed the simple directions, and still have
> not been able to connect to my password protected server.  I even converted
> the password and that didn't work.  Asked my neighbor for his password and
> that too didn't work.
>

> Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Todd E Easton
>
> The Travel Collaborative
>
> 1-800-370-7400 xt 66
>
> 617-497-8166