[olpc-help] Technical Questions before Google Summer of Code

Manuel Medina Gonzalez medinamanuel at kaw.bbiq.jp
Mon Mar 17 12:42:06 EDT 2008

Good day!

My name is Manuel Medina. I'm mexican, studying in Japan (PhD course),
in the area of Natural Language Processing. It's a real pleasure to
contact you!

I simply love your project, and wanted to participate somehow. I saw
that you're accepting people in Google Summer Of Code 2008 and I would
like to apply, but before doing so I would like to ask a few questions.

I'm interested in the "Language Learning Activity". Last week I checked
the program "lingoteach" that you mention in your "ideas" page, and I
think I can make something better than a dictionary and that program.
However, I was checking the laptop and its specs and the following
questions rose. I would be more thank thankful if you could find some
time to answer them.

- Is there any specific or mandatory programming language that must be
used to create the activity? I know that the laptop supports CSound,
Javascript, Squeak and Logo. Is it possible to use some other at this
point (specifically, Java, although I was reading that you have also an
idea about porting it)?

- Is there any limitation or minimum number of languages in the activity?

- In the case that I was selected for the project, is there a way to get
one of the laptops for testing or is testing going to be carried out as
a separate process?

- Is there any TTS software (like festival) that works or can be
installed in the laptop?

- Is it possible to continue the project after Google Summer of Code ends?

Thank you very much in advance. I'm looking forward to being a part of
this project.

Best regards.

---
Manuel Medina Gonzalez