[olpc-help] Automated update

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 10:30:39 EDT 2008

Hey Steve-

The Automatic update procedure is designed to allow the administrators of a
School Server  to push-out updates to some or all the registered XO's for
that school. It doesn't require the XO owner (the child) to do anything, no
developer key is required, but the caveats are:
1. you can *prevent* your XO from receiving an update by jumping through
some hoops.
2. you won't receive an automatic update until the School Server
administrator says so.
3 automatic updates will only deliver "releasesd" builds which are proven
stable (as opposed to the 'developer' or 'joyride' releases which may have
serious bugs.)

For the G1G1 program, OLPC designers are running the update for North
American XO's and they are upgrading only selective numbers of XO's (I heard
a 1 in 100 random per day among all XO's left running) while they look for
problems and such.

If you're looking to get your XO upgraded to a newer release, we can kick-it
off manually and I'll walk you through it step by step.
Or, if you're looking to get a developer key installed so you can run the
joyride releases Richard is talking about, I'll help you do that too.

On the other hand, if you're waiting to see an automatic update run, I don't
have a way to force that to happen for your XO. I could ask around and see
if I could find  out.

Let me know how you want to proceed.

--
Steve Holton