[olpc-help] OLPC QUESTIONS

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 08:20:19 EDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 10:42 PM, JOSEPH L ANELLO <nubicular1 at msn.com> wrote:

>  I SUBSCRIBED TO THE T-MOBILE HOTSPOT...BUT WHEN I GO TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD
> THERE'S NETWORKS THAT CALL FOR 'KEY ENCRYPTION' ....HOW DO I RESPOND TO
> THAT?
> AM I ONLY TO USE THE T-MOBILE TO GET ON THE INTERNET? I'M NOT SURE OF MY
> OPTIONS.
>
> ALSO...DO I HAVE *EMAIL* CAPABILITY WHEN USING THE XO LAPTOP? IF SO, HOW
> DO I DO IT?
>

> SO MANY QUESTIONS...IT'S GREAT
>
> THANKS IN ADVANCE...
>

> J.ANELLO

NETWORKS:
==========
Some access points require a key, others do not. It depends on how the owner
of the access point set it up.

If your friend is willing to let you use his access point, he will need to
tell you the key to use.

The T-Mobile key is only useful for access points run by T-Mobile.

But whichever access point you use will connect you to the Internet.

EMAIL:
======
In a typical educational setting, a child's email service would be provided
by the School Server.  If you don't have a School Server, there are several
web-mail providers (such as Google's GMail) which can be used with the XO.

You can sign-up for a GMail account here:

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/open.html
--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com