[olpc-help] Confused about updating G1G1 XO

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Mar 3 13:08:29 EST 2008

Rick Emery wrote:
> First, thank you very much for your reply. I was getting a little
> discouraged because I wasn't getting information. My reply is inline
> below...

Several of us developers read the lists but its hard to keep up.
Sometimes you might have to ask a few times.

>> So if you wanted to manually run the latest stable image you would use
>> 'olpc-update 656'.  But you don't have to do that.
>
> Which is what I did, and was told that the new build was not signed.
> Now I'm confused again :-)

That should have worked.  I think there was a brief period where we
goofed and didn't have the right images out.  I don't remember if that
was for 656.

If it still does not work then its a bug.

>> will prompt the user for an upgrade.  So really, to keep an XO
>> up-to-date you don't actually have to do anything until asked.
>
> To my knowledge, this never happened. This is my 10-year-old son's
> laptop, but he says he never got a prompt to upgrade.

The rollout was (and still is) very slow. We don't enable all the
machines to update at once.

--
Richard Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child