[olpc-help] Norwegian Alphabet Characters

7150 linux.1 at litenverden.com
Sun Mar 2 15:32:32 EST 2008

7150 wrote:
>>> I have successfully moved my home-made 4,000 word Norwegian-English
>>> dictionary database to an SQLite database on my XO's sd card. I feel
>>> pretty good about that.
>>>
>>> However, the XO cannot display the Å, Æ, and Ø characters. I know
>>> this has to be simple and probably Fedora config related. Can someone
>>> point me in the correct direction?
>>>
>>> Thanks!!!
>>>
>> Not only can I not display these special characters, I cannot SELECT
>> anything except SELECT * FROM norsk; and SELECT * FROM norsk WHERE Ord
>> <> "whatever";. I'm guessing the character set is different in the XO
>> so almost nothing works with the SELECT function.
>>
>> The data I am using came from a csv spreadsheet that I imported from
>> an Excel spreadsheet.
>>
>> A clue?
>>
>> Thanks!!!
>>
>> ---
>> http://www.litenverden.org
>>

> Present status is that I have the file imported with the Norwegian
> characters. It appears the problem was with Excel on creating the csv.
> This time I did it with OOo Calc. That's good. I can see everything.
>
> I still cannot figure out how to type an "Å" however.
>
> I also need to figure out why I cannot select a row.
>
> But, progress is being made.
>
> ---
> http://www.litenverden.org

I am getting closer. The select problem was related to double quote
marks around each text object due to the import process I used.
Stripping out the double quote marks before importing the csv fixed my
problem. I could have left them in and nested double quotes inside the
single quotes required by the select, but that would have been messy.

The only problem left is how to type an "Å".

---
http://www.litenverden.org