[olpc-help] KidType Computers

Carolyn Simmons csimmons at riordanfoundation.org
Wed Jul 30 15:44:03 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'm Carolyn Simmons, and I'm from the Riordan Foundation (founded by the
former Mayor of Los Angeles and Secretary of Education, Richard Riordan); I
recently left a voicemail regarding the possibility of forming a partnership
to do a project for the children of Los Angeles.

The Riordan Foundation currently helps provide LA¹s BEST, an after-school
program throughout Los Angeles, CA, with the resources and direction for
special program called KidType, which is a 5-week typing course. Upon
completion of the program, children from the lowest-income areas of Los
Angeles receive a free, used computer to take home.

However, I'm currently looking at other options of obtaining computers due
to the complications that arise when soliciting and refurbishing used
computers. Our goal is to provide about 1,000 computers annually to the
families of Los Angeles at a budget of about $75 per computer.

Would you be interested in selling or donating laptops for our program?
Where and how do you purchase your laptops? What programs, software, and
support come with the computers?  We are trying to find some major partners
to help us with this important project.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Carolyn