[olpc-help] help please

7150 linux.1 at litenverden.com
Tue Jan 29 06:20:43 EST 2008

starla homsey wrote:
> To Whom It May Concern,
>
> I am not able to launch any of my programs on my
> laptop.  I am connected to my wireless but the browser
> just continues to say "starting" when the icon pops up
> in the middle, as do all of the other programs when I
> try to start them.  Suggestions?
>
> Sincerely,
> Starla Homsey

This appears to be a problem that has appeared on the list several times.

The only solution I know of is to reflash. That is very easy to do.

Here are my notes:

# Make sure that your USB stick is FAT formatted, not FAT 32, and only
contains 1 partition.
# Go to the jffs2 download page for stable build,
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/official/    Note: Some people are
using 650
# Download two files to your local computer: fs.zip (about 200k), and
osXXX.img (about 300M); where XXX is the build number.
#* These files will be found in '''/build_number/jffs2'''
# Put these two files on the USB stick at the root directory. Remove any
other files on the USB stick.

Next, upgrade your laptop:

# Ensure you have both a power adapter and a battery plugged into the
laptop.
# Insert the USB stick into the laptop while it is powered off.
# Hold down all four gamekeys on the right then push the power button.
# Release the gamekeys when directed.

Watch it go. It will restart when complete.

George

--

---
http://www.litenverden.org