[olpc-help] WIFI WEP Key access issue

mburns community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sat Jan 19 23:59:41 EST 2008

momofthree wrote:
> Douglas - I'm in the EXACT same situation and furious for the money I spent.  NOT what we were promised.

I'm sorry that you and others feel that way. The OLPC project has launched a brand new computing platform using an innovative and from-scratch user interface and we've gotten well over 50,000 donors like yourself to support us in that project. That there are bugs (and there clearly are) on the first publicly-released round of laptops is an inevitable part of Software Engineering. Update.1 (https://dev.laptop.org/milestone/Update.1)--which is entering final testing and will be released in the next couple weeks--will resolve many, if not all, of these issues.

Having said all that, we *can* make secure wireless connections work, even if it isn't a 1-click process yet.

momofthree wrote:
> Is it possible to have two different networks running off the router so that I can maintain my secure network for everything BUT my xo, and create one unsecure network just to run the xo?

No,  but you have lots of other options:

1. Run an "unsecured" network, and use "MAC filtering" to enable only the computers you own to connect to the internet. MACs are the unique addres (not IP addresses) that each computer have. Using your router's home interface, you could enable your XO and any other personal laptops you own, and have it block any other computer. Simple solution.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/WPA#Turn_off_WPA

2. Setup WPA using this script on the wiki, manually set WPA to work using hex keys and the proper configuration. This process has been shown to work many times, so if you run into difficulties, detailing *precisely* what and whereyou encountered the problem at, we should be able to work with you to resolve it. Detail is very important, here. Typing in your password and clicking GO will not work, but the specific settings to change should not be difficult to do.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/WPA#Manual_Script

Suggestions for clarification on instructions is always welcome!

3. If you 1 and 2 don't work, you can do an upgrade to a (widely tested) test build, 653. This resolves many WPA issues for users, and incorporates some of the fixes that Update.1 will ship with next month.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/WPA#Upgrade_to_Build_653