[olpc-help] Slightly sticky keyboard--RMA?

Timothy Dang tpondang at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 08:58:14 EST 2008

Hello-

I've already posted about this at
https://olpc.osuosl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2224

However, I'm hoping to get a semi-official opinion from someone who's
seen a lot of these keyboards go by. I got 3 G1G1 XO's. One it was
immediately evident that it had a serious keyboard problem. I got an
RMA and sent it back about two weeks ago. The second seemed to be fine
until two days ago, when the CTRL key got extremely sticky. So it got
sent back yesterday.

I'm very uncertain what to do with thee third. Given the track record
for the other two, I kinda want to be conservative and send it back.
It's shown no real problems. The kid using it hasn't noticed any
keyboard troubles. I talked her through the diagnostic yesterday. A
couple keys ("K", "L", Hand) stuck at some point, but not
seriously--they unstuck without troubles when she hit them again, and
it didn't repeat. The CTRL and ALT keys showed no problems.

So, I'm trying to guess whether a tiny bit of sticking (so tiny as to
be unnoticed without running the diagnostic) is an early symptom of a
keyboard just waiting to go bad, or is no big deal. I don't want to
either over-react, send the XO back, waste the time of the folks at
OLPC and Brightstar, and have them send it back to me because it seems
OK, or on the other hand to find out in a couple days that the XO's
unusable but it's too late to return. (I think today's the last of the
30-day warranty.)

As I say, semi-official advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

-Timothy