[olpc-help] Sticky keyboard keys; Please RMA the laptops

tdang community-support at lists.laptop.org
Wed Jan 16 20:31:03 EST 2008

I'm trying to figure out whether to take the XO back from a young friend to RMA it.

We got 3 machines. One was clearly a sticky-keyboard problem out of the box. The second one made it until yesterday before the CTRL key went screwy, and I shipped it back today.

So, I asked my friend to run the diagnostics. They don't show major stickiness, but occasional keys stick. The "K", "L", and Hand keys all stuck, but unstuck when hit again. I'm willing to figure that's not too bad and run with it, but I don't want to find out in 2 days (when I'm past the 30-day warranty period) that that minor stickiness was an early symptom of terrible stickiness.

If anyone has feedback on whether this should be returned or not, I'd be grateful.

(I'd be much happier if there was a general warranty-extension amnesty for this particular problem, since it seems so prevalent, or we were told the serial #'s which are likely to have the problem... or something.)

Thanks

-Timothy