[olpc-help] file location

thepete community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sun Jan 13 20:25:33 EST 2008

So, Chih-yu, if I understand this correctly, even saving to the SSD is useless in the case of the battery running completely out of power.

If it was more simple to save to external memory, like an SD card or thumb drive, then I wouldn't feel like this was a serious and major bug.  From what I experienced yesterday, it means that even if you do save a file to the SSD several times, if your battery dies you lose it anyway.

Who's idea was it to structure things this way?  You shouldn't need a graceful shutdown to write data to a drive.  Pardon me if I sound upset, but it's hard to see how this is a better or more effective way to do things than traditional computers.  It seems like it's uselessly complicated.  If the XO had something like Gmail or WordPress where it simply auto-saved in the background every minute or two the user could still use Journal to access previous Activities/files and I'd have my missing data.

Thanks to this graceful-shutdown requirement (and zero talk of it outside of bug reports) I lost about four hours of work.  This is a *major* flaw and could effect anyone who is simply curious about how long their battery will truly last.  I thought saving my work would be enough, but it's not.

Unless I'm missing something--I really hope I am, since I'd like to find my work.