[olpc-help] Xfce: first steps?

Ace_NoOne community-support at lists.laptop.org
Sun Jan 13 07:07:04 EST 2008

Hi all,

After first getting my XO (G1G1), I was a bit disappointed with the Sugar interface (too limiting for regular PC users like myself). So I was delighted to learn I could use Xfce as window manager instead.
(Note: I'm not a Linux expert, but I do know some of the basics. In fact, I want the XO to teach me to use Linux on a regular basis and thus ditch Windows altogether, eventually.)

So I installed Xfce as described on the wiki (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Xfce), which was surprisingly easy.

However, now I'm wondering what I need to configure (and how) in order to get the most out of it with the XO.
For example, setting up a battery indicator, mapping the special keys (e.g. screen backlight control, directional pads on the monitor), configuring the built-in camera etc.
Could anyone who's done this give me some hints, or maybe even a checklist of sorts?

Also, I couldn't figure out how to properly set the timezone to UTC (this guide (http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-Timezone-in-Linux) didn't really help).
But that, as well as similar issues (e.g. configuring WiFi Radar to work with my router) can probably be solved by doing more research online...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!